Thread: Hello from an Old (but Disappeared) Member

Default Hello from an Old (but Disappeared) Member

Hi Everyone
    I just wanted to pop in and say hi. I've been a member of this forum for a number of years but haven't made any jewellery for at least 7 years or so. Life happened and then one thing or another lead to me not wanting to make anything and to me disappearing from the forum.

I've had all tools and materials packed away in boxes for quite a while and just this year, I've been thinking about making again. The tools have started to make their way out of the boxes, the cogs are turning and I can already hear the bank account moaning at me as I look at how much everything costs these days. Yes, I've been under a rock.

I'm looking at possibly getting into chainmaking and using Argentium silver. I have limited experience of the former and none of the latter so not quite sure how I'll get on but will give it a go. I still don't have a proper torch set-up and will continue for now using the little butane kitchen t

I hope everyone is well. I have lurked for a little bit before saying hi and I thought it was about time I popped my head round again.
    Best wishes to you all
    xx
    Indi

Hi Indi, and welcome back. Chains made with Argentium are beautiful and white. You just have to bear in mind that this version of silver can't stand disturbing in any way while glowing red, or it will fall apart.

Below is my bracelet made with it. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bc3 And Here.jpg  

Thanks, Dennis. I'm glad to see you're still here
    Thanks for posting your bracelet. It reminds me of paper chains made at Christmas time and is indeed it's a lovely white colour. I like the domed rings you used for the links. Did you solder or fuse, please? I've had a practise making a chain in 2mm copper wire with 4 solder joints to create 1 link. I might post that separately and ask questions about best method to construct in Argentium.
    Indi

You're supposed to be able to fuse Argentium, but I have had trouble seeing whether the fusion is successful. If you go on heating, it is liable to shrivel up, so to avoid hassle, I added a little solder.

A warm welcome from me too Indi.

I make my chains in sterling silver, with either paste, or traditional solder and flux, but very interested to hear how you get on with Argentium.
    Jules

I use a lot of Argentium. The new 940 version is much less brittle than the old 935, and fuses well. You just need to be careful not to overheat and remember that you can spot heat rather than needing to bring the whole piece up to temperature as you would if you were soldering.

(and welcome back!)

Thank you so much for the warm welcome back Dennis, Jules, George and others I've had difficulty getting on the forum so not managed to reply before now. I see the main cooksons website appears to be down at the moment?

Thanks for the advice re heating, George. Spot heat sounds great, I'm also excited by the lesser tendancy for firestain. I'll need to bite the bullet really and give it a go.

I'm so out of touch. When do Cooksons usually have a bullion sale or is that non existant, now?
    Indi

Nice to see you back Indi. I was busy with OS and then I’ve been sick.
    Good to have another voice on here again although it does seem to be down at some point almost every day!
    Interesting about argentium and spot heat. That seems ideal so maybe need to have a look