Thread: hi there

Default hi there

Just joined with a view to learning some more Craft. Amazing forum. I have many other hobbies involving many materials, but this stuff is special.

Hi Lexi, and welcome to the forum. It's very helpful to have skills in other crafts, but this one is very pernickety and unforgiving.
    In addition, setting up with even basic tools becomes expensive, hence so few new members joining here now.
    Join a class, virtual or real, watch YouTube, or buy a cheap beginners book. Decide on a simple project, and buy only those tools absolutely necessary for it. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Lexi, and welcome to the forum. It's very helpful to have skills in other crafts, but this one is very pernickety and unforgiving.
    In addition, setting up with even basic tools becomes expensive, hence so few new members joining here now.
    Join a class, virtual or real, watch YouTube, or buy a cheap beginners book. Decide on a simple project, and buy only those tools absolutely necessary for it. Dennis.
    Thank Dennis. I know what you are saying. I don't have a lifetime left to learn it, but hope to pick up a wee thing here and there.

Hi Lexi, I had a fantastic start in jewellery making by joining an evening class. It was once a week for two hours @ £10 per hour. A great jumpstart to see and try out a lot of techniques in a friendly and supportive environment at a bargain price. After this initial 12 week course I had a strong foundation to build on and bucket loads of inspiration to find direction with. Ten years on I still find it a fascinating and absorbing hobby to totally satisfy my creative desires … good luck with finding what you want … Nick