Thread: Which comes first the tube or the bend?

Default Which comes first the tube or the bend?

Hi,
    I’m new starter and am trying to create a cuff style bracelet with several tube set gemstones. My question do I bend the silver into bracelet shape before I solder the tube settings or after???
    Thanks

It's much easier to

1. Semi-prepare each tube setting, so that it only needs refining later with a burr rotated by hand in a pin vice.

2. Solder all the tubes in place on the strip when flat.

3. Then form the strip around a wooden mandrel by hand, and finally set the stones, using the mandrel for support.

I would mention however, that stones are likely to pop out, in places which undergo repeated bending so use an oval mandrel and put the stones on a flat area.
    This of course is why a more advanced design will include a hinge and a catch.

Alternatively, some way into your journey you might decide to avoid stones on cuffs, and use another form of decoration, or make bangles, which are rigid. Dennis

Many thanks Dennis,
    I am making a cuff for myself so I am hoping to keep it oval with very little bending needing later. I have started preparing the tube settings ready for the final push but this project is really so I can practice tube settings. Again many thanks for your help. Bev