Thread: Electric scroll saw

Default Electric scroll saw

I have a need for an electric jig / scroll saw for cutting out small shapes such as petal leaves from silver sheet …as thin as 0.5mm! This is due to damaged fingers that are increasingly arthritic therefore painful on repetitive work. Naturally I want to use the same type of blade as used in our trusted saw frames. Do such animals exist and if so any advice gratefully received.
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi David,
    You will be really disappointed if you go that route. Scroll saws require strong fingers to direct the sheet and to keep it down on the platern. The metal blades arev quite thick, and when they break are fiddly and expensive to replace.
    I would go for a laser cutting service for Jewelers, or a photo etching service.

Thanks Dennis for your observations and advice. Having been in “the business” I think I will just up the analgesia for that day!

There was a tool called the RT blanking system, I have never used it. but you can cut out stamps that will cut thin metal if memory serves me right. Its not electric but maybe worth a look for some ideas ?

Yes, I once did that on a course. It is simple and cheap, and a skill quickly learned. I only hesitated to mention it, because there is still some initial piercing involved, and you need some form of press to close the die. Possibly a vice would do it.

That said, I never went on to use the system, because for my purposes I found found using thin slices of different wires much quicker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgEGcrMudy8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tree Brooch.jpg  

Thank you both for your replies. The die making press is interesting but I think an anti inflammatory and a large glass of wine will be quicker and more fun! It isn’t that I am anticipating a great run of identical objects.
    David.

I think I've said before - a scroll saw has a very short stroke. While this is OK for thicker materials, when you're cutting thin sheet you wear out about 3-4mm of the blade and then it's done. Knew Concepts do a powered saw that's full stroke, but that's a spendy beast. They also have the precision die saw precisely for piercing out blanking dies, although that's a manual saw again.

Yes, I'm still working on my design for one (which will be open source); no, I don't have a timescale - rather a lot on my plate for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for your comments….i await your design!
    David