Thread: Suitable Thickness of Silver for Wooden Ring Liner

Default Suitable Thickness of Silver for Wooden Ring Liner

Hello.

I was hoping that someone might be able help. I am making a ring from lignum vitae with a silver lining. The lining is partially for strength and partially to minimise allergic reactions.

I wish to keep the overall thickness of the ring to a minimum without compromising strength and am unsure what thickness of silver to use.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice, please?

James

I would use a 0.7mm thickness silver lining, to make sure it will keep its shape better when working. The lining will need to cover the edges of the wood, by spreading each end gently with a large ball ended punch. (dapping punch, or similar object) It will also be much easier using fine silver.

Beware that rings become tighter the wider they are so to begin with it needs to be about one English size too tight.

Once the lining is made, fit the wood to it, and turn over the metal edges as above.

https://www.google.com/search?client...+dapping+punch

Alternatively you can thin the edges of the lining by filing them with a half round file, and then rub them over the wooden edges with a jewelers burnisher. Again a good reason for using fine silver.

https://www.google.com/search?client...lers+burnisher
    Last edited by Dennis; 13-08-2024 at 07:33 PM.

Thank you, Dennis.

That is really helpful. I had a look at your gallery and rather like the art deco-style ladies head in acrylic.

Regards,

James.

I have a follow-on question on this.

The suggestion is to use fine silver as it is more malleable for shaping the metal around the wood on the ring. I was wondering how durable fine sliver is when worn every day for a ring.

Regards,

James.

Once shaped from flat, fine silver will quickly work harden. It will be fine for this. Dennis.

Thank you, Dennis.

I shall calculate what I need and order some fine silver. I made some test rings in copper and know that the ring needs to be 20mm id and 6mm wide.

Thank you.

James.
    Last edited by catceefer; 15-08-2024 at 08:35 AM.