Thread: Suitable Glue for Wood and Silver Ring

Default Suitable Glue for Wood and Silver Ring

Hello.

I am making a ring with a silver liner and wood on the outside. I have used lignum vitae which is an naturally oily wood.

What glue would be most suitable to stick the wood to the silver? I tried clear Araldite on something else, but it remained rather rubbery, which has put me off it.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you.

James.

Hi James, this reminds me of wooden pen making where brass inserts are glued into wooden blanks. Cyanoacrylate (superglue) is used a lot and the metal is well scratch sanded - keyed and cleaned thoroughly with something like acetone. Also cleaning the wood with acetone may help with the oil issue. Might be worth testing a few glue ideas with copper sheet and wood first … Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 16-09-2024 at 12:24 AM.

I’ve always used araldite rapid on all my lignum work. It’s my favourite for its range of colour and the shine it can achieve.
    If the ratio is correct it should be brick hard and any excess will file off. I often file off some wood to mix if the glue may be seen but if it’s a good fit that shouldn’t be a problem.
    Lignum is waxy rather than oily and I’d also key the silver as Nick said
    Last edited by CJ57; 17-09-2024 at 09:09 AM.

Thank you for the replies and suggestions, which are helpful. I have now bought some araldite.

James.