Thread: Setting punches

Default Setting punches

Hi Everyone, took advantage of money off a punch setting set and it came through my door yesterday. Had my first go today but didn't quite work out as well as i wanted. Used 3.6mm tubing but wasn't sure what size punch to use so tried one close in size but the wall crumpled downwards in places. Is there a general rule for setting punch size to tube?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240830_140446_compress37.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	13604

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240830_135053_compress4.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	13605
    Last edited by Sheen; 30-08-2024 at 02:40 PM.

Yes, I used these for finishing my tube settings, because using just a pusher, or setting pliers, the tube ended up not quite round.
    So the next action was to follow up with the appropriate size of collet punch, put it into the handle and press down and rotate.
    Then finish with rubbers on my motor.

You have to choose one that is not too deep, or it will score lines on the back-plate. Also this particular set, although good for faceted stones will not always accommodate cabochons, because their domes can be too tall.

Kind regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 31-08-2024 at 09:42 PM.

Thankyou so much for your reply. I was using the setting punch tapping down with a hammer. Definitly going to try the rotation action. That should make all the differance.

Hi Sheena,
    I have the same set as you and have tried both hammering punches and rotating them whilst setting faceted stones and have found that loads of practice was needed with my technique. Sometimes it works a treat, others not, so keen to see how you get on with yours.
    Jules

Hi Jules, that's really good to know. Any clue as to why it works sometimes and not others? I'm going to go cautiously with them

I find that when I use them, they push too much metal over, then there is a lip which I, very carefully, remove with my Eveflex burrs.
    Perhaps I'm using the wrong pusher for the size of tube?
    Maybe my rotating technique is wrong, as I don't think I should have that much of a lip ?
    Jules

Two things to note, I'm currently using the punch with a bought in setting, but want to make my own from tube. I'd also check the sizes of each of the punches, as I had two the same size sent with my set!
    Last edited by Petal; 05-09-2024 at 09:02 AM.
    Jules