Thread: Suitable Finish for Olive Wood Ring

Default Suitable Finish for Olive Wood Ring

I was making a ring from lignum vitae with a silver liner, but the wood that I have has many hairline cracks in it and the turned rings keep breaking across the cracks.

I am now using olive wood, by request of my son for whom I am making the ring, but I am unsure what would be the best way to finish the wood. I have looked at suppliers' websites, but I cannot work out which products are most likely to be suitable and durable.

May I ask what people would suggest, please?

Thank you.

James.

How strange for the lignum to crack but I’ve only been using bowling balls for years which are very dense with no problems at all. That would have been the most robust for a ring tbh
    Any other wood could be waxed or oiled but unless they are only used for special occasions or removed every time you put your hands in water there is little to protect against wear and tear

Thsnk you, Caroline. I was surprised, but I have found the hairline cracks in a number of pieces. I must have been unlucky.

To finish olive wood, well obviously olive oil. Apply liberally, allow to dry and then rub up. This will give a matte finish, and need repeating from time to time.
    Alternatively use a wood furniture polish containing cornauba wax for more shine:https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z9FHB...d_plhdr=t&th=1
    Dennis.